Cynthia Lockrey is a storyteller and motivator. She is passionate about helping people find their voice so they can share their knowledge, stories and BE HEARD!
Having started her career as a journalist and newspaper editor, Cynthia has read hundreds of press releases, listened to countless pitches and attended way too many press conferences drinking coffee out of Styrofoam cups. Along the way, she began taking note of the elements that make up a good story, and where the story got lost in the telling – both proactive and reactive situations.
When she jumped into public relations, she brought with her all the lessons learned and insights from working in the media.
It is these insights, and the experience she’s gained over two decades of working in public relations, that she’s passionate about sharing, to help people find their voice and be heard.
As a university instructor, corporate trainer and conference speaker, Cynthia is skilled at breaking down communications tasks into bite size and easy to understand pieces.
Over the years she has worked as a communications manager and stakeholder engagement advisor for corporate, government and non-profit organizations. Her work also includes:
- Media and crisis communications lead for a Venue City for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Winter Games
- Emergency/public information officer for three local governments with extensive emergency management training and experience
- Communications consultant – non-profit, corporate and government clients
- Media relations trainer, providing corporate and executive training
- Patient advocate and patient advisor on medical committees for regional health care in Ontario and British Columbia
Cynthia is the author of a series of e-books covering communications skills, media relations as well as professional and personal development.
She is also the author of two patient advocacy books
- Your Child’s Voice – A Caregiver’s Guide to Advocating for Kids with Special Needs, Disabilities, or Others Who May Fall through the Cracks
- Bed Rest Mom, Surviving Pregnancy-Related Bed Rest with Your Sanity and Dignity Intact.